DEFCON Biohacker Village
Somehow I was lucky enough to get involved in the group planning a biohacker villege for next year’s Defcon. I’d like to be able to present something but feel way out of my league so I might just help with all the projects already going on. Some of the ideas proposed so far are:
- DNA transformation, such as making E coli red
- make your own liposomes
- bio engeneered beer
In addition the LA Makerspace recently started a citizen science program.
The main projects there are:
- Monitoring of the LA River
- Development of photocatalysts for direct conversion of water and sunlight into hydrogen.
- Detection of cosmic-rays using cellphone cameras (If you have any background in Java programming this might be really interesting).
- Analysis of radioactive fallout data in Japan.
A list of other Civic open hardware projects by Public Lab.